Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Sitting Pretty... with Walter Drake '65

Walter Drake and Sons is a shop by catalog mail order company founded in 1947, and unlike some of the other competition that started out around the same time as them, WD is actually still around (click HERE to see all of their NOW products!) But today I have some highlights from one of their great 60's booklets featuring timeless items that-- well-- they're not all timeless (see Kids Can't Fall Off the Seat for one example, though my grandma still uses an Add-A-Matic), but oh these products sure are fun! Add to that of course what we at AEET love most, the wonderful key art illustrations, happy photography, and superb design.




















4 comments:

Crafty C said...

i love the Midget Ice Cubes illustration! i used to have some of those midget ice cube trays.

i love the Caper Cap illustration too - but in reality that thing would be idiotic! maybe i'd feel differently if i had a hair-do to protect though.

and maybe i should look for a Dreamy Bra cause my bra sure doesn't give me caressing support.

Mr. Karswell said...

I'm obsessed with the Thumcaster fisherman and fish illustration, and the Shelves for Shoes art too... those spike heels look cool in that thing.

Mr. Cavin said...

I'm with you on the shelves for shoes art. I love closet drawings. The his and hers light coats hanging there are flipping great. Obviously I like those yellow angular drawings at the end, too. I love how the after shower wraps Bill and Betty are wearing are "tailored-to-fit" but also only come in four sizes. It seems to me like regular towels would be a lot more reliable.

Mr. Karswell said...

I wish they made a font like the one on the Spray Ply can!