Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Happy Birthday (To Me!) Part Two

More birthday greeting cards from my collection, and this time the Part Two focus is on wonderfully cute 'n cartoony illustrations of adorable animals (and one insect.) All of these range from the 1940's to the 1960's, and as you can see, a few of them do more than just open up once, in particular, the last card which opens up multiple times to create a poster measuring a few feet tall! The crying animal cards actually each contain a real glass teardrop glued to the card, other's have real string, gems, fuzzy overlays, die cuts, puppetry etc. I hope you've enjoyed this small sampling of birthday greeting cards from the Karswell Kollection.

 1.

 2.



 3.

 4.

 5.

 6.

 7.
 8.

 9.
 10.



5 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

To answer your question, I am loving these. You could do these every day and I would be thrilled.

Today's second favorites are the crying rabbit with the pink handkerchief and, maybe predictably because of this new textiles/patterns fetish of mine, that ice cream party with the cats at the top. I think my first fave is that creepy scraggly cat hobo with the big red cigar (but the more I think about those ice cream cats the closer this race gets).

Jen S. said...

I love every one of them. They really bring back memories. I can still remember the coolest surprise party invitation I received with a bunny in a bandit mask. I must have been 4 or 5. I saved that card forever but sadly have no idea where it is now. Thanks for taking the time to post these. They are highly enjoyable and distinctly exhibit the lack of imagination in today's greeting cards.

Mr. Karswell said...

>You could do these every day and I would be thrilled.

I've certainly got enough of them to start an entire blog devoted to nothing but greeting cards.

> I can still remember the coolest surprise party invitation I received with a bunny in a bandit mask.

That sounds like a cool card Jen, if you ever find it on ebay or something email me a scan.

Thanks for the comments!

Mykal Banta said...

Happy Birthday, brother!

Mr. Karswell said...

Thanks Mykal!