Friday, March 25, 2011

Rock City

High atop Lookout Mountain near Chattanooga, Tennessee sits beautiful Rock City, a 10-acre tourist attraction / wonderland retreat erected sometime in the 1920's, and finally opened to the general public in 1932. Features include a long stone trail lined with colorful gardens and a variety of bizarre rock formations, ie: 1,000-ton Balanced Rock, Fat Man's Squeeze, and the infamous "Lover's Leap." Two other sections of Rock City are reserved for what we here at AEET cherish most: the Fairyland Caverns and Mother Goose Village, aka: rock caves decorated with blacklight storybook characters, detailed sets, and painted backgrounds. Enjoy these great travel series photos from an old 1960's Plastichrome booklet, and if anyone has been to Rock City lately, let us know!


















6 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Dang, this place was (is?) a lot more interesting looking than I ever thought it was. That crooked cat is pretty creepy.

Unca Jeffy said...

You brought back a rush of memories and good emotions with this one. I've never been to Chatanooga, but when I was very young (late 60's) we used to stop at a place outside Lolo, Montana called "Mother Goose Land". I only have some (extremely fuzzy) 8mm movies of it myself, but your post sent me running to the internet. Check out this similar place here http://www.cardcow.com/216803/mother-goose-land-lolo-montana/ and here http://lookingatstuff.blogspot.com/2009/08/looking-at-pictures-of-mother-goose.html As a young boy, I thought this place was about as awesome as it gets.

That Hank said...

My gramma grew up on Lookout Mountain, so I've been to Rock City. It is just as creepy cool as it looks.

Mykal Banta said...

That black light makes everything look like a Bava movie! I just love this kind of tourist attraction. I've never been to this one, but I’d go there in a heartbeat. I bet they still have cool postcards. That one shot of Undercliff Terrace scares the shit out of me. You’d never get me out there.

Mr. Karswell said...

I too love roadside tourist stops such as this, it's inspiring to know that others still feel the same way, and you will in fact see many more posts of this kind here at AEET in the future. Thanks for the comments!

K. R. Seward said...

Yay, when here as a kid eons ago (about when this promo was done-late 60s-early 70s). Thanks for posting.