Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Hot Wheels: International Collector's Catalog '68

Continuing the theme this month of "All I Wanted For Xmas..." this collector's catalog of Mattel's amazing YEAR ONE Hot Wheels set features the first "Sweet 16" cars as well as all of the great track and racing accessories needed to turn your room into Drag Race Central. I love a toy catalog like this that reproduces the product with painted illustrations instead of the usual photos, and apparently this catalog is quite rare as I've seen it for sale online for nearly $100.00 (extra special thanks to the guy at the Great STL Paper Show last month who sold this one to me for $3.00!)















7 comments:

J. Wirt said...

3 bucks? SCORE!

Todd Franklin said...

Enjoyed seeing these scans! Man, I loved my Hot Wheels and the also the sword fights my brother and I had with the orange track!

Patrick Owsley said...

Excellent post, Steve! Ever see the HOT WHEELS display at the Peterson Auto Museum in L.A.?...it's very cool!

Mr. Karswell said...

>3 bucks? SCORE!

I know! The seller even wanted $5 for it but I talked him down. Also Jim, I think the kid on the Strip Action Set (page 10) looks exactly like you without your glasses on! Don't you agree?

>the sword fights my brother and I had with the orange track!

Absolutely Todd! Those orange tracks could leave some nice welts on your arms and legs for sure, haha!

>Ever see the HOT WHEELS display at the Peterson Auto Museum in L.A.?...

Unfortunately no, but I'm hoping to get back to LA for a visit sometime soon and will definitely check it out!

Thanks for the comments!!

Mykal Banta said...

Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's Beatnik Bandit. Hell Yes. I always thought Ed Roth was the coolest.

Unca Jeffy said...

If you haven't had the revelation yet (I had this epiphony about a decade ago) one of the true glories of being an adult is being able to set your Hot Wheel tracks up all over the house (including attatching that purple plastic 'C' clamp to the kitchen counter) and not being yelled at by your Mom.

I highly recommend it.

Mr. Karswell said...

>Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's Beatnik Bandit.

That's one of the coolest Hot Wheel cars ever for sure Mykal...

>including attatching that purple plastic 'C' clamp to the kitchen counter

Haha, thanks for the recommended epiphony Jeff! Also, the purple track connectors make great Gene Simmons tongues!